Sunday, October 25, 2009

Why I may look 5 years older than I did last Sunday....

A lot of you may know that we had a rough week! It started last Monday when Joaquin had a fever so I stayed home from work with him. That afternoon when I was trying to get him to take a nap he had a febrile seizure. At the time, I knew right away that it was a seizure, but didn't know that febrile seizures are fairly common among young kids when they have a fever (and I later learned that I used to get them myself!). I was in a panic and called 911. His seizure lasted no more than 2 minutes. Count off 120 seconds with your child in convulsions and it seemed like an eternity. Paramedics came into the house and made sure he was stable and we headed off to the Emergency Room - my first ambulance ride. We were there for 8 or 9 hours where they gave him an IV, swabbed his nose, throat, took blood and a urine sample, and did chest x-ray. They weren't able to identify any sort of infection or flu in the testing, and just chalked it up to an unknown virus and sent us home.

For the next couple nights we slept with Joaquin in our bed - although he was so sick he wasn't really sleeping and neither were we. If he wasn't on a steady dose of Motrin/Tylenol, his fever would jump back up to 103 or higher. His fever finally got better after 3 or 4 days. Today is Sunday, and he is finally back to his normal activity level.

Joaquin still has a little bruise on his hand and a small dot where the IV tube was placed. He rubs it and looks at it because he knows it doesn't belong - and Joaquin is always very concerned when something is not where it belongs. He sticks his arm out with a whine and we give it a kiss and a gentle rub. We are very thankful that he is healthy and has only a little bruise left from that scary day.

2 comments:

Abby said...

Oh Libby, I'm so sorry you all had to go through that. It sounded horrible, but glad there was a happy ending. Stay healthy and rested.

Anonymous said...

I am sure you were terrified. I was terrified when Chance had them too. I am glad he is doing better. Have a great holiday...looks like you won't have any trouble working off the extra holiday calories (chasing the little one)
I am so glad to see you capturing all of these awesome memories 'cause they go by SO fast. Jamie Moen